US Defense Minister Lloyd Austin arrived in India at around 5 pm on a three-day visit. This is his first foreign trip after assuming office. He will be on a tour of India till 21 March. Austin can discuss the issue of the Indo-Pacific, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. However, a dispute has already started before his arrival. Bob Menendez, chairman of the US Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, has written a letter to Austin. In it, he has asked Austin to raise the issue of the S-400 deal between visits to India.
Menendez wrote in the letter that you should tell the Indian authorities clearly that the US does not like this deal between India and Russia. Even after this, if India buys the S-400 from Russia, it will be charged under CAATSA (Counting America Advertisers for Section). This will also slow down the ongoing development of military technology between the US and India.
Actually, American companies Boeing and Lockheed also want to sell their fighter aircraft to India, due to which the US wants to stop India’s S-400 deal with Russia.
Lloyd will meet Austin on his visit to India
1. Austin will also meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Foreign Minister S Jaishankar.
2. Austin will meet India’s Defense Minister Rajnath Singh.
3. Austin and NSA Ajit Doval may speak on Regional Security.
Indo-Pacific words have appeared 90 times in Biden’s statements so far
• Austin will also discuss with Prime Minister Modi during the two-day visit. They can also express their views on the growing military friendship of America and India and new challenges facing the world from the platform of an Indian think tank.
• During the meeting, the US will keep away from issues like Kashmir, human rights, so that the relationship between the two countries is not lost.
• Biden also wants a strong relationship with India. Since Biden’s swearing-in, the White House, the US State Department, and the Department of Defense have used the term Indo-Pacific 90 times in their statements.