Beirut Blast: Lebanese Government Declares State Of Emergency For Two Weeks

Read Time:1 Minute, 30 Second

The government has declared a state of emergency for two weeks after a massive blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut and has been granted extensive powers to the army. The government announced it after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday. The government said that several officials of Beirut port are being detained until the investigation into how 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was brought to the port.

It is believed that the blast occurred due to negligence. More than 100 people were killed and about 4,000 people were injured in the incident. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has condoled the people of Lebanon. He has offered to send humanitarian aid to the country after the devastating blast.

Read Here | Massive Explosion Kills Dozens And Injuries In Lebanon’s Capital Beirut

Buildings have been damaged in the city for miles away due to the blast. Beirut’s governor said Wednesday that thousands of people will not be able to return to their homes for two to three months. Meanwhile, an official letter is being shared online in which the chief of the Customs department is warning that ammonium nitrate in the port hangar should be withdrawn, otherwise it may be threatened.

In the year 2013, 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was seized from a vessel and since then it was kept on the vessel. It is believed that the fire broke out on Tuesday, causing it to explode. He is saying that five similar letters have been sent in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

The letter written by the head of the Customs department to a judge in 2017 has not been immediately confirmed. If this letter is correct, it will ensure the belief of those people that mismanagement, negligence, and corruption prevailing in the political class are responsible for the blast.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %